Scenic Site #2 Anheungseong Fortress
Anheungseong (Anheungjinseong) Fortress, situated in the mountains behind Anheung Port in Jeongjuk-ri, Geunheung-myeon, was built in 1655 (6th year of King Hyojong’s reign over Joseon).
As for the background behind its construction, Kim Seok-gyeon, the then-Governor of Gyeonggi, proposed the King the construction of Anheungjinseong Fortress, to which the King responded by calling upon Lee Hu-won, an intellectual orator, for his opinion on the need for the fortress construction.
Afterwards, the King ordered the Governor of Chungcheong to erect the fortress, which took 10 years for the residents of 19 nearby villages to complete.
Anheungseong Fortress had remained intact for some 240 years until the Donghak Peasant Revolution in 1894 (31st year of King Gojong’s reign over Joseon), during which all of the fortress structures were destroyed, and the fortress was naturally forced to be shut down.
The fortress gates in the west, east, north and south, called Suhongnu, Suseongnu, Samseongnu and Bokparu, respectively, remain relatively intact today.
Anheungseong Fortress is a stone fortress that is 1,568m in circumference and 3.5m in height. It was designated as Chungcheongnam-do Monument No. 11 on July 3, 1979.
1155 Jeongjuk-ri, Geunheung-myeon, Taean-gun, Chungcheongnam-do